... Give me access ...
Winding up the April
Fool's Day fun for 2000
Subscribers to the Procol list received the following message
|Hi to all Palers, this
is a rush message to all the maillist subscribers.
To avoid a possible attack from hackers, we have decided
to move 'Beyond the Pale' to a new URL with restricted
access. To get all the details, including instructions of
how to be granted access to BtP under it's new domain
name, please look here: http://www.procolharum.com/newbtp.htm
Roland and Jens
For an April Fool's gag that was first thought of in Norway at
lunchtime on 31st March, the 'removal' of BtP to
GoldenMusic.net was a remarkable world-wide success. It rode the
tide of current anxiety about hacking, spamming and so on, and it
capitalised on some fans' belief that BtP is just as likely to be
targeted as the White House! We were flooded with delightful
requests to be included in the new order of Beyond the Pale: some
of them are printed below.
Last year (when BtP was
'taken over' by JJ Pink and his abominable
website) we put up a bit of the correspondence we'd had, and
someone (I forget who) was momentarily upset by it. Once again,
Palers, we're here in a spirit of fun and friendship, and let's
not forget that these messages prove that when it comes to
the crunch a lot of us put our loyalty to our favourite
band before checking the calendar. And there's nothing to be
embarrassed about in that!
This year's requests ranged from the plaintive to the
extremely whimsical, and the self-authentications extended to BtP-contributions,
knowledgeable Procol neighbours, and ownership of Greg Panfile
albums! "I'm saddened that anyone would be so malicious as
to try to hurt such a benign and loving tribute page" was a
lovely note, as was the message from someone who had never sent
an e-mail before in her life. Our favourite request came from the
'anatomically correct' blonde who was thoughtful enough to
specify her blood-group: and the one we most regretted was
<wince>the long-distance 'phone-call</wince>
Remember, if your reply is here on the page you're the only
one who knows the identity of the sender, apart from Jens and
Roland who have already passed out of mischief-mode for another
year, and would in any case never betray a fellow-Paler. So we
start with the only named respondents on this page
the ones who saw through us
ranging from the elegant
Marvin, the hilarious Bert, through to the no-nonsense Marcelo,
to the ranting AJ and his platoon of imaginary Moody Blues fans
- Dear Sirs: Please 'approve' me for continued BtP access.
I just wouldn't be able to get by without the annual
April's fools joke. I'll hacken your website ... Marvin
- Happy April Fool's Day! Have Fun! PGK1958@aol.com
- Approval wanted. Frans Steensma, Netherlands
Gee, suddenly it dawned on me. Good
joke, nonetheless. Frans
- I must admit that last year I was fooled by your April 1.
joke, believing that I had to move to that
horrible "Procal Harem" site ... Not so
this year, but I am curious to see the rest of the joke:
Please give me the new URL. Best regards, Pål
- Hi Jens and Roland! ... and a Happy April Fool's day to
you too! LOL! Best, Joan :-)
- Dear Webmaster(s)! Nice try! :-)) (fear of hacking?
change of BtP URL? Naaaaaaaah ... c'mon!) Happy April
Fool's Day ... to You too! Christina - still alive and
- Roland, Don't think for a Procolian minute that I forgot
the deceit and treachery of the past 2 April Fools days!
:+) LOL Larry
- Re: Request for approval for access to web site. Sending
message as requested. Regards, Irving P.S. Any
coincidence that today's date just happens to be April 1st?
- Heh, heh. Ha, ha, HA! ... whew! Haaaa,hahahahaa!
haHaHAHAHAAA! Oh - ahhh! Hee, hee-heeeya! HaHAHAHAHA! Ha!
... oh, ... hah! ... wow. I - heh, heh, heh! Well done.
My homburg's off to the Master, but 'once bitten ... ' (and
boy, last year you bit a chunk out of me!) - Bert
- It's still March 31st in Uruguay, while April fools begin
to get caught in GMT. Maybe that's why you didn't catch
me this time. Be very well Marcelo
- hi there, you are sure, that you are NOT kidding? well,
in Germany at the first of April people use to make jokes
like this ... any clue? Andreas
- Webmeister, Staying put in splendid isolation. It is
April 1st, isn't it Roland?
glad to be "approved" - the first time in my
life, perhaps. I still think this is too much of a
coincidence (April 1st) but I have logged the new site as
a favourite on my computer. If it is real, thanks for
doing all this hard work! If it's a spoof - you B*ST*RDS!
- ... so you think you've outsmarted US ... HA! They are my
friends and the only reason I even hang around your
crummy site is to LAUGH and CHUCKLE out loud to myself
with my staff of infiltrators. How you figured my crafty
ways I don't know but you and all the little PROCOLITES
are in for a big surprise. AJ was just my cover ... HA!
Moody Blues rule the EARTH and HEAVENS and we have
plotted your overthrow for a long, long time. There are
others who frequent your trashy website and have
penetrated your list. Yes, have you noticed the move to
MOODY BLUES subjects in the last year ... HA! And now you
come crawling on all fours wanting me too beg to be
included in your new URL! What balls you have SIR ... HA!
JUST FOR YOUR INFO I AM MUCH MORE HANDSOME THAN YOUR
BELOVED COMMANDER and WROTE 'FRESH FRUIT' for that KEITH
FELLOW when he was so drunk one night that he couldn't
find the SANTA MONICA FREEWAY here in LA ... HA. I left
the lyrics in his waistcoat pocket so I guess when he
sobered up the next morning he THOUGHT HE HAD WRITTEN
THEM ... HA! ... this alone should get me into the new
clubhouse but that won't happen either my fine feathered
friends ... NO ... HA! UP with the MOODY BLUES and DOWN
with the rest of the riffraff ... my last departing words
to all you suckers before we take your ship down to Davey
Jones locker where it belongs never to be seen intact on
the internet again is this-I'll waylay your daughter and
kidnap your wife, Savage her sexless and burn out her
eyes, I'll blacken your Christmas and piss on your door,
You'll cry out for mercy, but still there'll be more
- Seeking your approval. BTW, I just scored an A&E
special on hackers and hacking. Interesting and scary.
- Yes, please ... may I be approved, accepted, sanctioned,
certified, confirmed, endorsed ... this is starting to
sound like a KR lyric. Oh and btw ... that plastercast is
- what I have to do to get access to BtP ?
- please allow me to continue access to your great site
- Please may I have access to the new site.
- I wish to continue my diet of Procol Harum news. Please
email the new URL for BtP to me.
- Please authorize me!
- Major visitor seeking approval
- Please keep me eligible to view Beyond the Pale
- Procol fan since summer of '67 . . . Thanks
- Please allow me access
- Don't leave me behind!
- Sorry you've been having trouble. Hope you get it sorted
- I seek approval to still have access to the new URL. I am
an avid 50 year old Procol Harum fan and had the
privilege of seeing them in 68,69,70-77 in San Francisco.
- Hi, please grant access for me to the new site! I have
been a long time visitor to the site - I added a song the
AWSoP cover page some time ago.!
- I wrote to you once and you were kind enough to buy me
the Liquorice John Death CD after I gave you my credit
card info. I live in Brooklyn, New York, USA. Please
inform me of your new site
- Sorry to hear about the problem, hope you get it under
control this way.
- If this is an April fool's joke then it sucks. I must be
allowed access as the Harum has been a part of my life
since 1969. If you need any more info just ask
- I would appreciate very much being able to still access
your site, have been a Procol fan since the beginning in
'67. I also am on the list for the upcoming 2CD tribute
and am looking forward to updates on that. Don't really
know what information you need about me other than
hopefully my address will hook me up.
- Thanks for the heads up. Please approve me for the new
BtP site. Thank you.
- Dear sir: In light of your situation with hackers I wish
to continue access to BtP. I have been accessing your
wonderful site for months now and wish to continue doing
- Please give us approval for contacting your website.
- Please advise me how to gain access to the new site.
- Please give me access to the Procol Harum Beyond The Pale
- Please Procols Perceive Me Poignant
- Please continue BtP e-mail link!
- Please allow me to have access the new BtP. thanks in
- Hi ! I'm writing to request approval for future e-mails
from you as a list-member. Thanks !
- I would like to continue receiving the Procol Harum e-mails.
- I was shocked and alarmed to hear of the possible attack.
Please send along the proper information I will need to
access the site of the most important, and of course our
- sirs, I request access to the new website when you change
over. I have been enjoying BtP for over a year now and
would like to continue! I have also signed into your
guestbook in the past.
- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ! ! ! whoops, that was James Brown
- Sending e-mail for approval for list access.
- To Roland & Jens: Please consider this note my
request to remain a subscriber to the newsgroup. Its
unfortunate hackers have no respect for netiquette.
- Hello Palers ! I hereby seek approval. Wouldn't miss
beyond the pale for the world.
- Someone who sent in their full name and two real-world
- I am a frequent visitor.
- Please send me the new URL. I have been a fan for many
- Moving to where? No information was on your email message.
- To Whom it may concern- I would very much like to be able
to continue to access the Procol Harum website you have
created. The information is remarkable!
the wonderful website!
- Hello ... Please include me in the list of those
receiving the information about the new location of the
BtP Website. I don't know what "relevant information"
about myself you require ... hmmm lets see ... I'm about
5'4" ... blonde hair, brown eyes, 140 lbs ... all
anatomically correct, so far ... blood type O+ ... And
let's see ... "why I should be granted access "
... (in 25 words or less?) uh ... well ... I can always
supply a note from my mother ... Keep up the good work.
Its a fantastic Website! THANKS!
- Please give me approval to log into BtP.
- Please approve
- Please approve me
- Very sorry to hear the news. I had two attempted virus
attacks last Monday. What a bummer . A definite case of
those too sick, too sick to see. Anyway, hoping to catch
the Rhythm Kings in Plymouth
- give me access to the new URL. I am on the mailing list.
While I am not ask knowledgeable as many are about Procol
Harum, I love the music and the access to the incredible
amount of information at your site. If you need "references,"
I don't have many, although I have purchased Greg
Panfile's 2 CD's, so he knows where I live
- Please inform me of the new URL of BtP.
- Roland and Jens, thank you for the message about possible
problems with our PH site- this to request permission to
access the new site. If proof of my loyalty to PH is
required, I can get a friend to scan and send my ticket
for the Shepherds Bush Empire gig in 1995! If you need
further information, lease let me know.
- Dear Jens and Roland, Sorry you guys are being hassled by
web nasties. Please approve me. Who the hell am I? OK
here goes ... I saw Procol Harum live in Utrecht in 1992
I live 25 minutes drive from Frans Steensma
he'll vouch for me. OK am I in ?
- approval wanted
"we're trying to pass them on"
- Hello, keep me informed of Beyond the Pale. Will "Live
with the Edmonton Orchestra" ever be reissued?
- This is the first e-mail I've ever sent and I don't
really know what I'm doing but I'm a big fan of Procol
Harum; collected all their albums in the '70's when it
was very unfashionable and then forgot about them during
the 80's and 90's (didn't even know about them reforming
!). Is this enough information ? Oh yes, the recent
interest came about as a result of reading Claes
Johansen's book. That should do you.
- Thanks. I love the site.
- To whom it might concern: I have been a fan of Procol
Harum for 33 years. I saw the original line up in person
two times at the Fillmore East. I saw the David Ball line-up
at the Academy of music. I saw the Mick Grabham version
at the Felt Forum (all in New York City). I saw both
reunion concerts in 1992 and 1993 (or was it 94?) The
first in 92 having the much beloved Matthew Fischer back
on keyboards. I have always thought that Procol were the
most musical and dramatic of all the post invasion Brit
bands and the most satisfying live show (especially the
original line up with Robin) Although my visits to your
site are not that frequent, I would miss it terribly as
my love for this band has never waned and to be able to
see anything about them always takes me to a better place.
I'm saddened that anyone would be so malicious as to try
to hurt such a benign and loving tribute page. Best of
luck in your efforts to ward off this hacker invasion!
- Hello: I would like to continue my association with your
website as Procol Harum continue to be a favorite of mine.
You have my e-mail registry, and hope all is well.
- Please grant approval.
- I wish to get approval to visit your new site. Thanks.
- I wish to be granted approval to log on to the new BtP
- I would like to continue to have access to Beyond the
Pale as Procal [sic] Harum was and still is one of my
favorite bands. Thank you.
- As a Procol fan for over 25 years, I'd like approval to
access the new Beyond The Pale site address. Sorry to
hear about the problems that you're having, and hope the
situation is resolved soon.
- Please allow me access to the new site
- I sent a request for approval to enter the new URL
- I'm sorry that you will have to "make a hasty flight.
Across the sea and far away. To where the weary exiles
stay." Seeking permission to be granted access to
the new site.
- Hi! I'm sorry & shocked to hear that you have to
close down the original web site due to the threat of
hackers. I am a long term American fan who's been into
the band since first hearing "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
in 1967. I've seen the lads a number of times, most
recently at "the House of Blues" in L.A. in
1995. I anxiously await the next U.S. tour. Since getting
a computer just a few weeks ago, I have been totally
blown away by "Beyond the Pale". It has to be
the most incredible web site ever! Keep up the good work!
I hope they catch these terrorists & prosecute them.
- Hi, this is
long-time BtP visitor checking for
approval for future visits to the site ... sorry you guys
have to go through this hassle. let me know if more info
- Sorry to hear of potential problems.
Please provide me with access to the new
site. Keep up the good work.
- my name is ....., I'm from Israel, my email address is...
- Hi. It's ... calling from aus. After
reading about Gary's visit last month, I'm sorry I could
not attend. Sounded like a great afternoon.
WE are still shining on down here'
- Hello, I am writing to you to ask for your approval for
me to continue to visit your site, Beyond The Pale. While
I do not visit it as often as I would like (or ought), I
regard it as an invaluable information source for one of
my favorite bands.
So, many thanks to everyone for their warm wishes and their
continuing endorsement of the work of BtP
let's remember, is to spread the word of Procol, share the fun,
and get that band out on to the concert platform once again!